Project #1 Evaluations – Fall 2014

Broadcasting I Students:

Please answer the following questions.  Students must answer all questions in complete sentences. Answer questions using the comment section below.  Please use an email address that you currently use.  – Coach Webb

Question #1:  What was the most difficult aspect of the first phase of production (pre-production)?

Question #2:  What is the storyboard important to the pre-production phase?

Question #3:  What was the most difficult part of the shooting phase?  What was your favorite part of the shooting phase?

Question #4:  Why is it important to shoot as much video as possible?

Question #5:  What was the most challenging part of the editing phase?

Question #6:  What did you learn from a technical aspect that will help you next time?

Question #7:  What did you learn from other videos that will help you in the future?

About the Author

Scott Webb
AV Production Teacher - Walker Valley High School - Cleveland, Tennessee. Host of the WV SportsZone and The Finish Line on Talk 101.3 The Buzz. Scott is married to Jessica, a 3rd Grade teacher at Charleston Elementary, and has two kids: Megan and Tyler (both WVHS graduates). Contact Scott via email - swebb@bradleyschools.org

29 Comments on "Project #1 Evaluations – Fall 2014"

1. Bailey Mayhugh | September 2, 2014 at 8:22 am | Reply

1. Coming up with all of the camera angles was the most difficult.
    2. It’s important because you’ll know what comes next in your video
    3. It was difficult shooting the dialogue scenes over and over. My favorite part was when we were walking down the hall.
    4.It’s important because you don’t want to leave any important details out
    5. It’s challenging to get the audio to match up when you switch camera angles
    6. I learned how to change videos to black and white and slow motion
    7. I learned how to pace videos better

2. The most difficult aspect of the preproduction was figuring out what audio would go where and what sounds to use.

To decide each scene and to see and plan out kinda where everything will go.

The most difficult part of the shooting phase was trying to get the camera in the right position as we had it before. The best part would be when we rolled around the hallway trying to stay away from teachers.

It is important to shoot as much video as possible because you want to make sure you didn’t leave anything out and if during the editing phase you need to change something you can always use that extra footage.

The most challenging point of the editing was trying to get it all in order and not mix anything up.

I learned from a technical aspect that I could’ve done the camera movement better and using a different speed duration like slow motion helps.

I learned from other videos that I should’ve spoken louder and i need to work on the pace of my video.

3. making the script.
    because it helps make the script possible.
    acting was difficult, because I did not film. getting to act was my favorite part.
    so the audience can understand the video better.
    making the sound effects.
    make the video longer.
    I can learn how slow motion works.

4. Aj / Alex Scott | September 2, 2014 at 8:36 am | Reply

1. Knowing every line and camera angle we were going to use. ( we improvised )
    2. So you can have something to look back on and help you record.
    3. the most difficult part was finding our shooting spot and keeping the sound reasonable, the most favorite part is having fun recording and just the different styles of recording we did.
    4. incase you have bad shots you can use the other shots instead of going and doing the part all over again.
    5. just getting used to the program and finding the right music.
    6. to use more camera angles and give a story to it along with length.
    7. some good music techniques and give more emotion in the acting.
    Aj/ Alex Scott (Block 1)

5. Emily Jackson
    1. The most difficult part of pre production was trying to get a story line developed.
    2. The storyboard helps your words come to life through a picture so you can see how you want it to look when you film it.
    3. Hardest part about shooting phase was making sure that you film all the stuff you need to with the same clothes. You might need to film some things on one day so your clothes match and don’t make you look different for every scene.
    4. You want to shoot as much as you can to make sure you have enough for one, but you also want to have options when you are editing. You could have shot a scene 4 times different ways and only use 2 of them, but you had the option to pick which one you liked and to create the best feel of the scene.
    5. Editing isn’t hard, what’s hard is being patient. A couple seconds of video can take 5 min. to edit depending on if you need to cut parts out and add music to it.
    6. I learned that transitions are a big part. I need to work on seeing and knowing where I can put them to make the video flow better.
    7. One thing I learned from the other videos is that music can add a lot to a scene. It can create the emotion or feel you need for a piece of you video.

6. Amanda Domeracki | September 2, 2014 at 8:37 am | Reply

1- The most difficult thing about the first production was the editing.
    2- The storyboard was important to the production because you would not have an idea before you started filming;
    3- The most difficult part of the shooting phase was when you have to keep other people out of the camera. My favorite part was when we all got to go down stairs and got to film.
    4- I think it is important to shoot as much as possible so you have a choice between different shoots.
    5- The most challenging part about editing was trying to figure out how to do slow motion.
    6-What I’ve learned form shooting was that you have to have many different angles.
    7- That you have to be careful with the sound because the cameras pick up all sounds.

Amanda Domeracki

7. drawing the storyboard.
    because it helps make the script.
    the most difficult part was being in the film. my favorite part was being the camera man.
    so the audience can get what is happening in the video, and no cliffhangers.
    doing the sound effects.
    I will make the video longer.
    I learned that It is good to use more angles and slow motion and speeding up the action.

8. 1. Knowing every line and camera angle we were going to use was a huge step in the filming process.
    2. So you can have reference or something to look back on and help you film and record.
    3. the most difficult part was finding our background and keeping the sound quality reasonable, the most favorite part is having fun filming the humorous things we did and coming up with the comedy
    4. when you have not so good shots you can use the other shots instead of going and doing the part all over again.
    5. just getting used to the program and finding the right music and cutting out scenes when someone looked at the camera.
    6. to use more camera angles and to increase more flow with the story itself
    7. better costumes and give more emotion in the acting.
    First Name-Eli
    Last Name-Nelson

9. Rachel Bryant

Question 1: In my opinion, the most difficult phase of pre-production is the script. Organizing ideas and writing them in an order that makes sense is hard, also working with a group and including and blending thoughts of each person involved is incredibly difficult.

Question 2: Storyboarding is important to the pre-production phase because you are laying a foundation of what your films base scenes will be. Filmography is all about visually interpreting a scene to understand the plot. Camera angles are detrimental to show elements and emotion in scenes and story boarding can help the filmmaker clearly see how to film will take place.

Question 3: The most difficult aspect of the shooting phase is all of it! Getting the camera in just the right place, shooting everything just perfectly with the right background, lighting, angles. My favorite part of shooting is when I’m behind the camera. I love to pick angles and find what looks best.

Question 4: It is important to shoot as much video as possible so you will have a lot of shots to choose from and edit.

Question 5: The most challenging part of the editing phase is agreeing with your team how to edit something. Music is a crucial part of editing as is blending your video. If you lack proper pacing, proper music, and the editing skills to make your film enjoyable to the audience, no one appreciate anything about your videos and they will probably make fun of it. ( I would )

Question 6: THERE IS SO MUCH I WOULD CHANGE. First of all, what was mentioned critically, was pace. Blending the video and not “overdoing” a scene. I would cut out many unnecessary parts and add what was needed. We needed WAY less talking and WAY more investigating. Also, action scenes could have been much smoother.

Question 7: I learned that cutting out unnecessary scenes would be great. I also learned that videos need to be concise and well plotted, something that was not featured in the majority of them.

10. 1) I found scripting the most difficult.

2)It helps you mentally envision what your video will look like.

3)The most difficult part was getting it all shot during the one block. My favorite part was doing a first-person view of a pencil.

4)It is important so you can edit everything at once and not have to re-shoot anything.

5)The most challenging part was when the computer shut off and we had to redo most of it.

6)I learned to save often while editing.

7)It should have been a little longer.

11. Question#1: ~ The most difficult part of the preproduction phase was coming up with a good storyline for the video and coming up with all of the angles for the storyboard section
    Question #2: ~ The storyboard is important to the preproduction phase because it shows pictures and a description if what is happening during the video. It helps with organizing and planning the video before actually shooting the video.~
    Question #3: ~ The most difficult part of the shooting phase was getting the shot of the main character running down the main hall that is right when you come right in the school. Since the video was going to take place after school it was difficult to get a good shot with no people in it.
    My favorite part of shooting was the part where the masked figure pops out and the video goes back and forth between them then them running down the hall.1~
    Question #4: ~ It is important to shoot as much video possible so you have plenty of videos to work with. If one of your videos had a mistake and you did not have another video of it, you would have to redo the entire part.~

Question #5:~ The most challenging part of the editing phase was adding an audio part to a video with no audio. We recorded a separate video of the main character talking and then added it to the parts where he is talking in his head or to himself.~
    Question #6: ~ A technical aspect that will help next time was learning to shoot with your surroundings and learning how to add audio to the videos that have no definite audio already.~
    Question #7: ~ One of the things I learned from the other videos was that you can make the video go faster or slower to add a different feel to the video. I also learned the first person perspective in the part with the pencil.(The Hall Monitor). It was a very neat way of showing perspective in the video and I probably will try to use that in other videos.~

12. Sophie Garland | September 2, 2014 at 9:51 am | Reply

1. Planning the script
    2. So you know the order of the scenes mans know the audio
    3.Filming without laughing, acting
    4. So you will always have enough
    5. Cropping the video
    6. To film longer scenes
    7. To make it more professional

13. Jonathan Ownby | September 2, 2014 at 9:51 am | Reply

1. For my group the most difficult part was thinking of what our film was going to be about.
    2. It’s important because if you don’t have the smallest idea of what you are going to do filming is going to be hard.
    3. Finding the perfect camera angle and finding that perfect camera angle.
    4. Because if you have multiple different shots you have more opportunities to lay down the scene better.
    5. Finding the right spot to fade in and fade out.
    6.That the mic on the camera isn’t the best and you need to get better coverage.
    7.How using different time techniques can make your film much better.

14. 1. The hardest part of preproduction was discussing the plan with the whole group.

2.The storyboard is important because it helps you know what to do next when filming.

3. The most difficult part of the shooting phase is trying to be serious when needing to be.
    My favorite part of the shooting phase is doing action scenes.

4. It’s important to shoot as much video as possible because it’s better to have a long enough video than a video that’s too short.

5. The most challenging part of editing is cropping out the things in your clip that aren’t needed.

6. I learned to take my time, because if I don’t the video won’t turn out as good.

7. I learned that it makes the video more interesting if you put more creativity in the video.

15. 1- getting on the same page with planning with everyone
    2- visually seeing it before you do it, or simply jotting an idea can help it be better, and help you to be more prepared.
    3- the most difficult part of shooting was trying to shoot without Destiny and mostly getting Max to focus. My favorite part of shooting was the acting. I want to be an actress so bad, and I’m not that good, but I think if I keep acting and expand in it, that I will get better.
    4- I think it is important to take a different angles and different shots of the same scene a couple of times, because other angles may look better, or make the scene more intense.
    5- trying to edit, and each getting a bit of editing in was hard itself, but picking out different music that we agreed on was hard.
    6- worry more about quality, not quantity.
    7- working harder and together and agreeing will get it done faster.

16. nicholas barnett | September 2, 2014 at 9:55 am | Reply

1.putting the videos together for the movie.
    2.its important ,because it lays out the video .
    3.trying to make them come together , my favorite was acting.
    4.so you can have more videos to choose from if your first video didn’t go well
    5.putting the music in the video , and trying to make it fade in with the video.
    6.how to mix the videos and edit more .
    7.The time techniques and the prospective parts.

17. 1. The most difficult aspect was coming up with and agreeing on an idea with everyone in the group.
    2. The storyboard gives you a guideline to follow when you are filming your video.
    3. The most difficult part of the shooting phase was trying to get shots with other people passing you and watching you film. My favorite part was being able to be creative with the shots because you are seeing it in real life.
    4. It is important to film as much film as possible so you have choices when you are putting it all together and if you were to have messed up on one shot then you can just use another one.
    5. The most challenging part was when the breaker that was hooked up to our computer flicked off and back on. It erased all of our work and we had to restart everything because we hadn’t saved our project before.
    6. We learned to save our project often so we wouldn’t loose all of our work.
    7. I learned that adding more music and other effects will help add to the quality of the video like in Brandon, Max, and Erica’s video.

18. 1.Choosing what to add in to our video and what camera angles to use.
    2. So you know what order the scenes are in and what audio to add in and to know what the audience is seeing at times.
    3. The most difficult part of shooting was talking loud enough to be heard on the video and staying in character between scenes. My favorite part was playing a character and acting.
    4. So if you mess up a scene or you miss something you have multiple takes so you can choose the best take.
    5. Making sure we don’t cut important shots out of a scene, but also making sure the scenes weren’t too long, and also making sure our shots aren’t choppy.
    6.Make sure we don’t waste time and to speed up the video and make sure the shots aren’t as choppy.
    7. Make sure we have our script ready and our shots down.

19. Justin Johnson | September 2, 2014 at 9:59 am | Reply

To be honest, the most difficult aspect of pre-production was choosing an idea to film. We had so many ideas and deciding between them was the most frustrating part. Either that or coming up with decent dialogue.

The story board is incredibly important. Personally I’d much rather improvise and make things up as I go along but with a story board it makes sure the clips stay on topic and relevant.

The most difficult part of the shooting phase was deciding where an appropriate place to film each scene was. Aside from that, everything else is the best part.

Filming as much as possible can be a good and bad thing. The pros of this consist of this can be having a more diverse film. It can make things difficult because of how frustrating it is when you choose the wrong clip and you have to revise that mistake.

Next time we film, we’ve already discussed this, but we definitely need to add music to our video in various places. It seemed emotionless and dry without music.

From observing other people’s videos, I realized we definitely need to work on our editing skills. But all in all, I feel we’ve done decent for our first video in this class.

20. 1- Figuring out the script.
    2.So you know what order things go in.
    3.Trying to stay in character, and filming the fight scene.
    4.So you will have enough video.
    5.Agreeing on what to do.
    6. make longer scenes
    7. To be more professional

21. 1.) the most difficult part was laying out a story and writing about it.
    2.) the storyboard is important because it lays out the story.
    3.) the most difficult part was getting the videos to connect. my favorite part was putting music to it.
    4.) it is important because if one of the videos were messed up you could pick from the others you took.
    5.) the most challenging part was trying to make the videos look like it all happened at once and not in between time.
    6.) I learned that you can make the time seem shorter than it really is by using time manipulation.
    7.) I learned that you can also slow down the video and speed up the video, making it have a different feel.

22. 1. The most difficult aspect of the first phase of production was deciding upon an idea.
    2. The storyboard is what you base your video on without it you wouldn’t have a clue what you are doing.
    3. The most difficult part of filming was when people would walk by when doing a scene and interrupt us or just stop, but my favourite part of shooting was when when were filming.
    4. It is important to shoot lots of footage in case we mess up or we don’t like how it looks.
    5. The most difficult part of editing was when the breaker flicked off and back on when we were done and about to save.
    6. We learned to save our film more often
    7. We learned not to take ourselves too literally

23. destiny crittenden | September 2, 2014 at 10:13 am | Reply

1- The most difficult aspect of the first phase was thinking of an idea!!! We had so many good ones.
    2- The storyboard is important because it gives you an idea of what to do in that scene.
    3- I wasn’t here but from what I hear, the hardest part about the shooting phase was keeping everybody focused.
    4- Shoot as much video as possible so when you go to edit you will have a choice of which one is better, and when you edit, the videos will be shortened.
    5- The most challenging part of editing was picking which scenes were the best, and choosing music that everyone liked.
    6- Something I learned in the process of making this film was to worry about quality, not quantity, and use lots of angles.
    7- Something I learned by watching someone else’s video is, to speed up the video!!!! Don’t take forever to do one thing, then the viewers will loose interest in your video, you want to get their attention.

24. Trying to figure out what to do is probably the hardest part of pre-production. I wasn’t sure what camera angles to do or how the story was going to go.

The storyboard is important to a film because you need to figure out what you need to do. Then when you figure out what you need to do, you can have your storyboard to refer back to.

The most difficult part of shooting was looking for places for our character to pop out of and yell “Kango!” We couldn’t find a lot of places to do this. My favorite part was when Justin and Kango reunited. It was so majestic.

You would have a lot of film to choose from that would be the best for your movie. Plus, you can see if you’ve messed up or not and choose another shoot.

Trying to put the transitions in the middle of clips was probably the hardest. Also, putting the clips in order was kind of hard as well.

We needed to add some music to our film to set the mood.

Other people’s videos were well put together. We accidentally cut out a scene and it disrupted the flow of the movie. We did ok, but it defiantly needed work.

25. 1. The most difficult aspect of the pre production phase was picking an idea that everyone in our group agreed on.

2.The storyboard is important because it helps to give us an idea of what our video could look like, as well as it helps with planning out our video.

3. The most difficult part of the shooting of the video was finding the right camera angle for every part of the video. My favorite part of the shooting phase was the fact that we had plenty of time to do it and so in turn it made it less stressful.

4. It is important to shoot as much video as possible because you can always delete, or not use certain videos. If you don’t have enough video, or don’t have one that you like then you are out of luck.

5.The most challenging part of the editing phase was making sure that everything was smooth and that it looked professional.

6. I learned to take my time on the video editing, or else it just ends up looking bad in the end.

7. I learned that there are some better camera angles to use at certain points and definitely some better music placement.

26. hailey coppings | September 2, 2014 at 3:43 pm | Reply

1. I’d say the brainstorming because once you have an idea it’s easy to go from there.
    2. It helps outline what happens in each scene.
    3. Most important: getting everything in the storyboards
    Favorite part: making costumes
    4. Because you may be able to use some of the footage that was not meant to be in the film originally.
    5. Cutting clips and ordering them or doing titles and transitions.
    6. I learned how to unlink audio from video footage.
    7. I learned instead of flashing the lights physically you can just cut the clip multiple times and separate them.

27. Cheyanne Farris | September 3, 2014 at 9:40 am | Reply

1.) The most difficult phase of the first pre-production was probably the timing of when to start recording.
    2.) The story board was important on the pre-production, because it gave an idea of the story would be about.
    3.) The most difficult par of the shooting was the timing and the editing part.
    My favorite part was shooting because working with the camera is my favorite thing to do.
    4,) Shooting the most video you can is important because it helps making the video longer.
    5.) The most difficult part of editing was the cutting, because its hard to tell where to cut it.
    6.) Watching the full thing before you turn it in it important.
    7.) Using music is important.

28. Rena Charneicki | September 4, 2014 at 6:30 pm | Reply

1. Is the most difficult part of the aspect of the first phase of production was a agreeing on ideas and timing the scenes.

2. So you know what comes next in the video and it helps out the lines and the scenes in the video.

3. The most difficult part of the video was coming up with the perfect lighting for some scenes and the camera angles to get what shot you needed to get done. My favorite part of shooting was how much time we had and my group was really good on the ideas that we had.

4. It is important to have as much video as you can then less video because you can always edit cut the video and use it.

5. I would say the most challenging part was the editing and also picking which scene to put.

6. More techniques to use in my video like slow, fast and more angle shots I could use.

7. Other techniques people used and the angle shots they did, how to use them in videos.

29. Alex Lauterbach | September 5, 2014 at 9:03 am | Reply

1.) The most difficult part of the first phase of production was agreeing on a topic and the plot of the Mini Movie.
    2.) The storyboard is important because it helps you visualize what is to be done in the video.
    3.) The most difficult part of shooting was finding the right camera angle for the scene, and the best part was getting to dress up like a ninja.
    4.) So that you have room to edit and and new things to make the video flow well.
    5.) The most difficult part of editing was the audio. In one shot we had to enhance us talking, but it also enhanced the background noise.
    6.) The audio and how it can be separated, enhanced, and manipulated to sound how it needs to for the video.
    7.) A lot of the other videos had really cool space and time elements, that we could use in future videos.